Can I Get An Airport Job With a Criminal Record?

July 11, 2017

Recently, we’ve harped on traveling with a criminal record, and why an expungement can benefit your life in this area. Everything from security lines, to visiting foreign countries, traveling is a way of life for many people. For other individuals, they are accustomed to working in the travel industry, most notably at airports. If you’re a fan of aviation, you might think that these people might have some of the coolest jobs getting to work around giant airplanes. So, if you happen to be an individual who wants an airport job, but has a criminal record, can you get one of these positions? The blunt answer: it depends.

The Pre-Employment Background Check

Prior to being employed by any airport, candidates will need to submit to a rigorous background check. Due in large part to recent terrorist threats and attacks on airports globally, background checks and screenings have inserted details down to the wire to ensure that the individual applying for the job is trustworthy and capable of performing the tasks that are asked of the job. If you have been found guilty of a conviction within the last seven years, you will be disqualified from moving forward in the application process. Applicants should also be aware that their rights to privacy may be difficult to maintain, as government agencies such as the FBI may be given access to your background. Certain crimes, such as murder, treason, espionage, and racketeering would prohibit any potential candidate from landing a job at an airport. These are especially true for the Transportation Security Administration, or TSA.

The positions that applicants can apply for include stocking airplanes with food, loading baggage and directing runway traffic with lighted-pylons. These positions may be slightly lenient on applicants with a small mark on their record. However, other positions such as fueling planes and operating machinery or driving vehicles on the runway will be more strict on qualifications and backgrounds. (Source: You-Can-Learn-Basic-Employee-Rights.com)

How to Better Your Chances of Landing an Airport Position

Your best chances of moving forward in the application process of an airport job would be to expunge your criminal record. If you are eligible for an expungement, and you end up obtaining one, you will likely be able to legally tell airports and security administrations that you have never been convicted of a crime. This will give you more confidence and focus heading into your application process, giving you an edge over other applicants. Granted, every state has different expungement and record seal laws, so be sure to consult the ones most relevant to you.

The expungement process can be long and complex, so it is best to do research ahead of time before you do anything else. It is also best to consult with a trusted attorney so that you can be sure you’re taking the right steps throughout your case. To learn more, contact our team of experienced attorneys at 844-947-3732.

1. Edgardo Rodriguez says:

Hey I currently work at the dfw airport an got suspended due to a felony charge that was never open because the da typed a wrong serial number. I got the gun back an they said charges were dropped. I went an looked at my record and said I was clean of felonies an Misdemeanors. They are checking my background again after I took prove that the charge was never open. My question is will I be able to go back to work?

• DanielWR says:

Hey Edgardo, if the charge was supposed to be expunged or sealed, it’s possible that your employer might reconsider you. Give us a call if you want to be sure that your record is removed. We may be able to help.

2. CB says:

Edgardo, your case sounds so weird to me. How could there be a record of a charge that was never opened? If you are already working there, why are they checking your record again?
    And to Daniel at WR, how is it that it shows you answered on Oct 4 when he asked on Oct 8??? LOL

3. Cas says:

I work i and the airport and recently got arrested. I’m going to court now for the allegations. Will I be able to renew my ID because of the open case.

• admin_WR says:

Hi Cas – Our firm would be happy to speak with you. Please reach out to a representative for a free consultation.

4. Sunknee says:

I have a felony on my record but it shows pending …. will this disqualify me..?

5. Eduardo says:

Hi!
    I was convicted of drug possession 4 years ago, I am studying to become an aviation mechanic and work on planes, do you think I am eligible to get hired in any airport?

Thanks!

6. Romon Rosales Jr. says:

Hi i was convicted of felon possession of a fire arm back in 2012 am i eligible to work at the airport

7. Dustin says:

I have an interview to be a ramp agemt for united, but i have a pending unresolved dui case. Will that show amd disqualify me for the job

8. Laura says:

I have a DUI conviction that is over 15 years old. There was no accident or injuries involved. My record is otherwise squeeky clean. I also passed an alcohol and drug screen. I thought the DUI was expunged. Will the airline still hire me (I nailed the interview and my references sung my praises)

9. Robert says:

I have a non violent felony theft (from my employer) conviction from 2010 that I had expunged in 2014. I had no other blemishes prior to that or since then. I have also maintained employment and in trusted positions since then. I am being considered for a management position with a private firm working within the airport and if offered the position, I know I will need to obtain some form of Security Clearance. Will this expunged felony from 2010 prevent me from obtaining the clearance if I am offered the job? Some lawyers advise that with an expungment you do not need to declare this, but should I be forthright and document the expunged felony? I do not wish to be disqualified on a technicality.

10. Albert johnson says:

I want to work for an airline (delta / United ) I haven’t had a criminal conviction since April 2010. It’s 2019. I have to get a fingerprint will I fail. I have 4 criminal misdemeanors 2005-2010 not expunged

11. Sjcj says:

I have misdemeanors 2005-2010 all in college, it’s 2019. Airline is asking me for additional information on these crimes but only one was committed in the last 10 years which was / is the years they go back ? Do I have a real chance to get the job or will they recind the offer

12. Angel says:

I was recently arrested for domestic violence after a physical altercation with my boyfriend and I bit him. I’ve been working st the airport for 8 years. My court date is June 20th. I have no previous contact with the law. Will my employee find out? Will I lose my job?

13. S Banks says:

I work for ohare airport and got arrested for an aggravated assault charge. Will I lose my job and badge?