Don't Let Your Past Limit Your Future

Early probation termination in California

Early Probation Termination in California

July 29, 2015
Please follow and like us:

If you are currently on probation for an offense in California, is there any way to terminate your probation early?  The answer is YES!  Fortunately, California law allows a defendant to petition the court and request early termination of their probation.  Here is what you need to know!

Often times the court imposes a very long period of probation, even for lower level misdemeanor offenses.  Luckily, a defendant who has completed all of required terms of their probation is allowed to ask the Court to terminate their sentence.  The courts are looking for good conduct and reform of the person requesting early termination of probation.  Californian Penal Code Section 1203.3 puts forth the legal requirements for early termination of probation.

Theoretically, you can end your probation any time after you’re sentenced – a minute, an hour or a day. However, your request will not be successful unless you’ve paid all fines and costs, restitution, and completed all classes and other court requirements.  Also – you cannot have any other charges pending against you or be on probation for any other offense.  Once your probation is successfully terminated, you are eligible for expungement, or dismissal, of your conviction.

One thing to note is that ending probation early is not as simple as filing some paperwork and paying a few bills. You must show the judge that your good conduct and reform warrant early termination.  The judge must decide that it is in the best interests of justice for your probation to be terminated.  This is where an experienced California expungement attorney is essential.

The attorneys at WipeRecord have extensive experience in helping clients end their probation early in California.  Should you have any questions or want to learn more, take WipeRecord’s FREE expungement eligibility test to see if you’re eligible to end your probation early.  If you are, then you can hopefully achieve the ultimate goal of expunging your conviction!

Please follow and like us:

Comments ( 1 )

  1. denise reed says:

    ending federal supervised release

Leave a Comment


Recent Posts

Marines Navy
How to Join the Navy or Marines with a Felony
December 8, 2021

By: Kirk von Kreisler Join the Navy or Marines with a Criminal Record Deciding to enlist in the United States Military is one of the most significant, life-changing decisions a person can make. But being able to join the military is certainly not guaranteed and may be particularly difficult if you have a felony conviction on your criminal record. The U.S. Military must … Read More>

How to Restore Gun Rights in Michigan
December 3, 2021

Read More>

Disclaimer: The material on this blog has been prepared and is copyrighted by WipeRecord, a division of Eastman, Libersat & Meyler, PC ("WipeRecord"). The material is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Information provided by or cited to third parties does not necessarily reflect the opinions of WipeRecord or any of its attorneys or clients. Results of any expungement or restoration of civil and/or firearm rights may vary from case to case. We obtained your email address when you took the eligibility test on our website. Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisement. Please refer to our website for prices. This is a legal advertisement. If you have already hired or retained a lawyer in connection with your gun rights restoration, please disregard this letter. Our lawyers do not have professional liability insurance.