Ohio Firearm Rights Restoration

How to Restore Your Ohio Gun Rights

October 29, 2020
Please follow and like us:

Americans have a Constitutional right to bear arms. However, when convicted of certain criminal offenses, your 2nd Amendment rights can be taken away. The federal Gun Control Act and Ohio law both can take away your gun rights based on certain convictions. Thankfully, you can often legally restore your Ohio gun rights under Ohio law. This article is an overview to help you restore your Ohio gun rights.

Restore Your Ohio Gun Rights

Ohio law provides a legal process to restore your Ohio gun rights.  In order to qualify, you must have completed your sentence and no longer be on probation, parole, or court supervision.  You must have led a law abiding lifestyle since the conviction which led to having your gun rights being taken away.  A subsequent conviction will not disqualify you from restoring your gun rights, but it will likely make getting your firearm rights more difficult to restore.

Factors the Court Will Consider to Restore Your Ohio Gun Rights

The court will look at a number of factors in making its decision to restore your firearm rights. These factors include:

• How long ago the conviction occurred.
  • The seriousness of the conviction.
  • Your complete criminal history.
  • Whether you have lead a law abiding lifestyle.
  • Whether restoring your firearm rights is in the public’s interest.

What About Your Federal Firearm Rights?

Prior passage of Ohio Senate Bill 247, there was a question as to whether restoring your Ohio gun rights would also restore your federal rights. After this law was passed, restoring your Ohio gun rights also restores your federal firearm rights. If you are able to successfully restore your Ohio firearm rights, the court will notify the Ohio Department of Public Safety and the FBI that your firearm rights have been restored, and you should be able to legally obtain and possess a firearm without issue.

Get the Help You Need

Restoring your Ohio gun rights can be difficult to navigate. If you make a mistake in restoring your gun rights, you will often need to wait 2 years to try again.  Having an experienced attorney guide you through the Ohio process will improve your chances at success.  The first step in restoring your right to own a gun is to see if you qualify.  The easiest way to see if you qualify is to take our free, confidential Eligibility Test.  You can also speak with our experienced legal staff by calling (844) 947-3732.

Related Content: Ohio Firearm Rights Restoration

You can trust that you will get exceptional service from our law firm. We are here to fight for your rights as if they were our own. We have an A Rating from the Better Business Bureau, and our attorneys are rated as Super Lawyers  by prestigious attorney rating services, including Thompson Reuters and Avvo.

Please follow and like us:

1. Ryan Antaya says:

Please contact me

2. Cassandra DeJesus says:

I just want my right restored to carry concealed weapon.

3. Steven Mellott says:

I have 2 felony DUI’s do you think I am eligible. I just want to be able to hunt.

4. James says:

Looking to get my gun rights restored. What’s the cheapest way and who DJ I need to contact

5. Mary Dural says:

How do I get my gun rights

6. Samuel millet says:

I am looking to get my gun rights back.it is over 20 yrs old.did not do any prison time.did 30 days work release. And probation and a fine.what is the best way to get my rights back…can be reached at 624 316 8051

7. STEVE says:

i already have my rights restored , need help getting my concealed carry .

8. Brian says:

Amended charge of persistent disorderly conduct down from domestic violence 7 years ago. Please contact me.

9. Kevin cain says:

I would like to get my firearm back. Si I can get my. FFL.

10. Charles David Cundiff says:

Would like to see if I could get back my gun rights

11. Kevin Wallace says:

I had two felonies that received an unconditional pardon from Gov. Kasich. Does the pardon mean I can skip petitioning my local court or do I still need to do these steps?

12. Demmian Simmons says:

I have one felony 4 from 1994 was given probation only did 6months 13 days of prison time due to violation of probation an i would like to get my gun rights back for hunting target shooting an self protection due to the fact i ha dle large sums of money for bank drops for my buisness… It is well over 20 years old i have no other felonies similar or otherwise. I can be reached at 5672472080

• DanielWR says:

Demmian: Luckily, many people qualify to have their rights restored in Ohio. Please reach out to us to check your eligibility. Thanks!

13. Brittany says:

If you successfully obtain an expungement, will gun rights be restored? Can your firm do both?

• DanielWR says:

Hello Brittany, our firm does help clients obtain expungements and restore firearm rights. For more information, please take our free, confidential eligibility test or give us a call at (844) 947-3732.

14. Isaac Gerald Humphrey says:

I just got my record sealed. How can i own a firearm after getting my record sealed

15. Marcus Donald says:

In 2009! My wife got me convicted of a domestic violence charge vs a family member! I’ve lived in Oh for all those years! What should I do?

16. Errol says:

I have a f5 theft. I want to restore my gun rights is there a way?

17. Joseph L Marzec says:

I gather I’m not able to get a hunting license and or go hunting for food for my table other than using a bow and arrow

18. Walter Clepper says:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW I CAN START THE PROCESS TO GET MY RIGHT TO OWN A FIRE ARM BACK THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME