Ohio Firearm Rights Restoration

Moving Past a Criminal Record: Restoring Your Right to Own a Gun in Ohio

February 27, 2016

When an individual seeks to restore their right to own a firearm, they are not doing so to commit a crime—criminals do not care whether their firearm ownership is legal, and do not bother using the courts to regain the right to own a gun.  People restore their right to own a gun for a variety of reasons, including hunting, personal protection, target shooting, and investment. Americans also have the Constitutional right to own a firearm—mistakes from your past should not prevent you from enjoying your Second Amendment rights.

Fortunately, Ohio Revised Code section 2923.14 permits many Ohio residents an opportunity to restore their Constitutional right to own a gun by applying to the court of common pleas in the county they live in.  In order to qualify to ask the court to restore your right to own a gun, you must have completed your sentence and no longer be on probation, parole, or court supervision.  In addition, you must have led a law abiding lifestyle since the conviction which led to having your Second Amendment rights taken away.  Although a subsequent conviction will not disqualify you, it will make getting your firearm rights more difficult to restore.

Generally, the court will look at a number of factors in making its decision to restore your firearm rights, including: the age and seriousness of your conviction, your criminal history, whether you have lead a law abiding lifestyle, and whether restoring your firearm rights are in the public’s interest.

Since the passage of Ohio Senate Bill 247, successfully restoring your right to own a firearm under Ohio law will also restore your federal right to purchase, own, and possess a firearm, which is a very important development in Ohio firearm law.  If you are able to successfully restore your Ohio firearm rights, the court will notify the Ohio Department of Public Safety and the FBI that your firearm rights have been restored, and you should be able to legally obtain and possess a firearm without issue.

This process can be difficult to navigate, and failing to do so correctly will prevent you from attempting to do so again for two years. This is why having an experienced attorney to guide you through the Ohio firearm rights restoration process is so important.  The first step in restoring your right to own a gun is simply to take our free, confidential Eligibility Test to see if you qualify. If you would prefer to speak with one of our Criminal Records Analysts, please just give us a call toll free at (844) 947-3732.

You can trust that you will get exceptional service from our law firm, as we have an A Rating from the Better Business Bureau, and our attorneys are rated as Super Lawyers and rated as Superb Attorneys by prestigious attorney rating services, including Thompson Reuters and Avvo.  Our law firm has attorneys licensed to practice law in all Ohio state courts, provides low price guarantees, and is here to fight for you and your Constitutional right as an American to own a firearm!

1. Ryan Antaya says:

Please contact me

2. Cassandra DeJesus says:

I just want my right restored to carry concealed weapon.

3. Steven Mellott says:

I have 2 felony DUI’s do you think I am eligible. I just want to be able to hunt.

4. James says:

Looking to get my gun rights restored. What’s the cheapest way and who DJ I need to contact

5. Mary Dural says:

How do I get my gun rights

6. Samuel millet says:

I am looking to get my gun rights back.it is over 20 yrs old.did not do any prison time.did 30 days work release. And probation and a fine.what is the best way to get my rights back…can be reached at 624 316 8051

7. STEVE says:

i already have my rights restored , need help getting my concealed carry .

8. Brian says:

Amended charge of persistent disorderly conduct down from domestic violence 7 years ago. Please contact me.

9. Kevin cain says:

I would like to get my firearm back. Si I can get my. FFL.

10. Charles David Cundiff says:

Would like to see if I could get back my gun rights

11. Kevin Wallace says:

I had two felonies that received an unconditional pardon from Gov. Kasich. Does the pardon mean I can skip petitioning my local court or do I still need to do these steps?

12. Demmian Simmons says:

I have one felony 4 from 1994 was given probation only did 6months 13 days of prison time due to violation of probation an i would like to get my gun rights back for hunting target shooting an self protection due to the fact i ha dle large sums of money for bank drops for my buisness… It is well over 20 years old i have no other felonies similar or otherwise. I can be reached at 5672472080

• DanielWR says:

Demmian: Luckily, many people qualify to have their rights restored in Ohio. Please reach out to us to check your eligibility. Thanks!

13. Brittany says:

If you successfully obtain an expungement, will gun rights be restored? Can your firm do both?

• DanielWR says:

Hello Brittany, our firm does help clients obtain expungements and restore firearm rights. For more information, please take our free, confidential eligibility test or give us a call at (844) 947-3732.

14. Isaac Gerald Humphrey says:

I just got my record sealed. How can i own a firearm after getting my record sealed