Don't Let Your Past Limit Your Future

How to Rent an Apartment with a Criminal Record

August 18, 2017

As you may already know, a criminal record can make it very difficult when trying to rent a new apartment. No matter where you’re located, landlords almost always conduct a background check as part of the application process. As mentioned in a previous blog post, some cities are passing laws to prevent the discrimination of renters with a criminal record. Although, the fact remains that in most cases, having a criminal record will create serious barriers when searching for housing.

What items are part of your record?

  • Arrest Data & Criminal Investigative Data
  • 911 Calls
  • Booking photos (mug shots) & Identification Data
  • DNA Data
  • Conviction of a criminal offense
  • Traffic violations (including DWI)

The Fair Housing Act of 1968 protects seven classes: race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, and familial status. Unfortunately, a person’s criminal record is not protected under the Fair Housing Act.

What can be done to qualify?

  1. Get an expungement or record seal

Sealing a record refers to making a record inaccessible to the public. Once a record is sealed, it can only be viewed by a limited number of agencies. On the other hand, expunging a record means the record is completely erased from the person’s criminal background. Depending on the state, only certain law enforcement agencies or courts can view an expunged record. Expunging a record may not be an option for everyone, but you may take our free, confidential Eligibility Test to find out.*

*Note: Expungement and record seal laws vary by state, so it’s best to consult an attorney for help. See our website for more information on the difference between an expungement and record sealing.

  1. Get references

Work references, rehab facility references, family references, previous landlord references, etc. can help a person trying to acquire a new home. Most apartment properties will look at your rental history, and some might require a rental verification from your previous landlord.

  1. Keep your previous or current rental history in mind

When trying to rent an apartment property, it is important to keep previous rental history in mind. Was rent paid on time? Does the person have a broken lease or owe money on a property? Did they have problems with other tenants in the past? All of these factors could alter the decision for a person’s approval.

  1. Income/Credit ratio

Depending on the property, a larger deposit might be needed if your credit or income is not at the required amount for approval. Add in a criminal record, and the chances are definitely lowered. Each property is different so it is best to ask the lessor what their requirements are based on income, credit and criminal background.

  1. Research properties that don’t do background checks

Work with property locators or real estate agents that can help find properties that work with people that have a criminal record. This is a great tool to use, especially if you are not familiar with the city or state you are moving to.

  1. Reentry programs or Community Groups That Assist Felons

Research groups in your community that help people with a record get back on their feet.


These are just a few things that may help in your search for new housing. If you’re thinking about renting or moving into a new property, it’s best to have a clear criminal record. However, the expungement and record sealing process can be difficult without the assistance of an attorney. For more information, it’s best to consult a law firm experienced in expunging criminal records.

  1. Robert Kurian says:

    I have a voucher for hud vash I need to rent a apartments or a house I need a two bedroom I am moving in with another Veteran we have a combined income of 1583.00 a month but because of my Criminal background no one will give me a chance. A need a break and also I have no violent crime or sex offenses. I just need a break I have been sober for 4 years and the Va got my back. If there is anything you can do for me please call me at 3305737271 Thank you very much

    • DanielWR says:

      Robert – we’d love to help you out. Please contact us to see if you qualify, or try our free secure eligibility test online. Thanks!

Leave a Comment


Recent Posts

Support the Second Chance for Georgia Campaign
June 23, 2020

The Georgia state legislature is currently omitting a key component to a criminal justice reform bill, SB 288 [SB 288 2019-2020 Regular Session]. Lawmakers have not included language to allow a pathway to expungement for nonviolent felony offenders—a measure that would provide immediate positive economic and social change for nearly 600,000 Georgians.   A felony conviction can follow a person around for … Read More>

How to Obtain a License to Carry in Texas with a Criminal Record
May 19, 2020

If you’re trying to obtain a License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) in the State of Texas, there’s some important information you’ll need before you start the process.  If you have a criminal record, it’s especially important that you read the following. Be sure to consult with an attorney to check your options for criminal record sealing or expungement. Basic Requirements … Read More>

Disclaimer: The material on this blog has been prepared and is copyrighted by WipeRecord, a division of Eastman, Libersat & Meyler, PC ("WipeRecord"). The material is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Information provided by or cited to third parties does not necessarily reflect the opinions of WipeRecord or any of its attorneys or clients. Results of any expungement or restoration of civil and/or firearm rights may vary from case to case. We obtained your email address when you took the eligibility test on our website. Please note that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisement. Please refer to our website for prices. This is a legal advertisement. If you have already hired or retained a lawyer in connection with your gun rights restoration, please disregard this letter. Our lawyers do not have professional liability insurance.